Overpowering mystique of Mountains: Lahaul and Spiti
Occasionally interrupted by vivid green patches of cultivation and ancient villages of mud-houses sitting on the sides of melt-water streams, all watched over by atmospheric monasteries. With snow-draped mountains and high altitude deserts ,the semi-arid Himalayan regions of Lahual and Spiti are stuff traveler’s dreams are made of.
Journey to Lahual goes through the highest passes those remain inaccessible in winters due to harsh weather conditions. Program will involve moderate trekking to pristine water lakes those remain frozen during long and inclement winter weather.We will also be visiting thousand years old monasteries, vibrating with the continuous chants of Buddhist monks(Lamas),will walk across the picturesque villages those are not much treaded upon, will stay in a mud-brick house of a village,get a chance to know their culture more closely and to develop a never ending profound love for them .
Day 01 – 2 October –Thursday
We will reach Manali on Thursday morning and will get lodged into a hotel soon after. Long and tiring overnight mountain-hopping journey will induce the sleep thus we will meet in the evening to give you an orientation of the program and give you ample time to wander around the bustling lanes of Manali.
Day 02 – 3 October – Friday
Soon after breakfast, we will take the winding road uphill towards Rohtang pass and then take the road onwards towards Lahual valley.From verdant green pine forest, endless apple orchards, the landscape will transport arid with snow-capped mountains and glacier on both sides.In between, we will take pit-stops for occasional tea and photography.
We will make to Chandra-Tal before the dusk and camp overnight close to the lake bed.Situated at an elevation of 14100 feet, the lake of Chandra-Tal reflects splendid colors as sun comes up or drops by.
Day 03 – 4 October – Saturday
Morning will offer you an opportunity to capture remarkable shots under ideal lights. After roaming around the lake and breakfast, we will take leave from Chandra-Tal to drive further towards Spiti Valley. We will cross over Kunzum and stop at the little village of Losar before heading further to Key Monastery, the largest Gompa of Spiti Valley. Our day will conclude in Rangrik which sits on the bank of river Spiti.
Day 04 – 5 October – Sunday
Day will involve village hopping to Langza and Komic, highest villages of India. Environs of Langza are rich with fossils of marine life thus might engross you for quite sometime. Herd of sheep grazing, tumbling over the endless green of pastures will turn a visual treat, and all overlooked by towering snow-capped mountains.Sitting at an elevation of 6303 meters, magnificent Chau Chau Khang Nalda, which literally mean the” mountain-princess”gets frequently adorned by sun and moon shine and might tempt you to stay here forever.
Day 05 – 6 October – Monday
Soon after breakfast, we will say bid-adieu to the village of Langza and proceed our journey further to Dhankar monastery whose precarious and precipitous standing looks so fragile as if it will virtually fall on you.Moderate hike to Dhankar Lake would be an added attraction of the day and will offer an opportunity to take wide-angle shots of popular confluence of Pin and Spiti. In the evening, we will head back to Rangrik, to the placid bank of limpid Spiti.
Day 06 – 7 October – Tuesday
We will take the same road in reverse crossing over Kunzum and then Rohtang to reach Manali. Ever changing horizon outside the window seat won’t let you recede into reminiscence mode.
Day 07 – 8 October – Wednesday
After breakfast, we will disperse to our respective destinations.
- Accommodation in a hotel in Manali (Day 1 and Day 6), Camping in Chandra Tal (On day 2), hotel in Rangrik (On Day 3 and Day 5) and Homestay in Langza (On day 4).
- Breakfast (Day 3/4/5/6 ), Lunch (Day 3/4/5), Dinner (Day 2/3/4/5), morning and evening tea, occasional snacks. On Day 2/6, we will have lunch in the villages enroute and guests will have to pay on bill basis. While in Manali (All meals on Day 1, Breakfast on Day 2/7, Dinner on Day 6), Travelers can roam around and binge upon the meals they like. Manali is blessed with good number of restaurants serving a wide-range of cuisines.
- During the entire program, group will be accompanied by a trek guide who will be leading the group while hiking to Dhankar lake, Chandra-tal lake and other moderate trails.
- From Day 2 morning till Day 6 evening, all the transfers would be either by Sumo or Tempo Traveler.
- Camping in Chandra-Tal will include tents,sleeping bags, mattresses,Kitchen tent,dining tent,3 kitchen staff & all meals.
- Travel Cost to/from Manali.
- Personal Beverages of any kind
- Personal Expenses of any kind
- Tips, shopping and personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions list
- Pick up and drop from/to Manali. We can book volvos from Delhi to Manali and charges would be as per the fare.
Things to Carry:
– Trekking Shoes (Avoid Brand New) – Sport shoes are also fine provided a decent ground grip and stuffed enough to withstand the cold weather.
– Hand Gloves (Woolen would be our recommendation), monkey cap, balaclava etc.
– Multiple pairs of woolen and Cotton shocks.
– Pairs of thermal inner (Both upper and lower).
– Cold Cream and Sun Screen lotion
– T-Shirts, Track Lowers,Down Jacket, Rain Suit, Sweat Shirt, Sun Glasses
– Personal Medicine Kit however there are couple of medical stores and physician in the town of Kaza.
– You will be getting nutritious meals during the whole program however you may consider carrying chocolates and dry fruits.